Tuesday, November 20, 2012

in which I am afraid of 3 things

Day two of my thirty things

I'm having a hard time thinking of three things I consider myself afraid of. There are plenty of things I'm not particularly excited to experience, but I don't think I'm afraid of them. Dying, for example. I'm not in any real big hurry to die. I would be deeply sad if any of my family or loved ones were to die. It would suck, and when the time comes, it's going to suck, but I don't think being afraid of it will prevent it from happening, or help process it better when the time comes. I'm not saying I choose not to be afraid- I'm just...not.

There are lots of things I'm not afraid of anymore- some of which I have control over, some of which I don't. I'm not afraid of the dark, of what's underneath my bed (all the stuff I can't fit in my dresser, mostly), of being raped and murdered (but please don't rape and murder me), of losing my mind.

However, there are still a few things that really creep me out; here are three of them:

1. Parasites.
I am terrified of another living, moving creature inhabiting my body. The very idea of getting mango worms super freaks me out, which my mother uses to her advantage whenever she humanly can (it's not funny anymore, MOM.)
Yes, I am aware that this might make my ever getting pregnant super awkward. No, I don't know what I'm going to do about that.

2. Being Paralyzed.
I'm not sure if this stems from reading Johnny Got His Gun (EXCELLENT book), or that reoccurring nightmare where no one can see or hear me. I imagine complete paralyzation would be something like that.

3. The Monster from Forbidden Planet.
Forbidden Planet is a sci fi movie from the 1950s that my dad showed my sisters and I when we were 8, 6, and 4 years old (one of these three children would refuse to leave her room at night for years because of this movie. just saying.) It features an invisible monster that keeps dismembering members of the space ship crew- and the only time the monster is seen is when it crosses into the field of the electric fence.

Ultimately it's revealed that the monster is controlled by the subconscious desires of its creator, the scientist who lives on the planet. 
Basically, SCIENCE WILL KILL YOU. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm a sucker for kittens and fancy dresses.